Monday, June 25, 2012

How to clean out an item you want to throw away for recycling without wasting water

In the city which I live in all recyclable waste can be thrown into a separate bin for pickup just as the garbage is.
All the regular recyclable material we buy and use we dispose of in the recycling bin before being trucked away twice a month by the municipal service in our city.

So as it is I throw regular recyclable waste as well as anything that can be recycled and not in use. But sometimes a disposable product requires washing especially if it carries liquid such as a shampoo bottle or a soap bottle.
I had to dispose of such items as well a small plastic ink bottle once but they required washing out before being thrown into a dry waste bin.

So I decided when I was showering I would use the shower water to rinse out the liquid from the recyclable bottle. That way no extra water would be used. The water already flowing out of the shower and being used for bathing can also be poured into the bottle and clean it out. This way no extra water is used to clean out a plastic bottle before disposing of it.

I urge everyone to use this method to help conserve precious water.

No comments:

Post a Comment